community Service means Business!
23 September 2009
Urban Schools Aiming Higher Than Diploma
BOSTON — At Excel High School, in South Boston, teachers do not just prepare students academically for the SAT; they take them on practice walks to the building where the SAT will be given so they won’t get lost on the day of the test. In Chattanooga, Tenn., the schools have abolished their multitrack curriculum, which pointed only a fraction of students toward college. Every student is now on a college track. And in the Washington suburb of Prince George’s County, Md., the school district is arranging college tours for students as early as seventh grade, and adding eight core Advanced Placement classes to every high school, including some schools that had none. Those efforts, and others across the country, reflect a growing sense of urgency among educators that the primary goal of many large high schools serving low-income and urban populations — to move students toward graduation — is no longer enough. Now, educators say, even as they struggle to lift dismal high school graduation rates, they must also prepare the students for college, or some form of post-secondary school training, with the skills to succeed. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/education/17college.html?ex=1358312400&en=e0b1c64200d6e894&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
- ► 2011 (47)
- ► 2010 (326)
09/20 - 09/27
- Sample SPARC calendar
- One Year Out: Experiences of Prisoners Returning t...
- Executive Summary - The Geography of Punishment | ...
- Geo-Politicized Space: Race, Representation & the ...
- Prisoners of the Census
- RAM Tough!
- Pinellas County Jail Drops $8 Co-pay for Prisoners...
- ALL ABOARD!
- "Ban The Box" Ordinance Approved | Connecticut Pub...
- SAMPLE ACTIVITY CALENDAR
- JOBS & CAREER CLUSTERS Pt. One
- Prisoners of the Census
- Rollip - Create Polaroids from your photos!
- G2.0 Embedded Citizen Journalist
- Git' up on This!
- G2.0: G20 Psychic Service Command
- G2.0 G20 Insurgency Tactical Manual
- G2.0: G20 Insurgent sampan preparing to engage the...
- G2.0: G20 Insurgents spotted just outside of their...
- G2.0 G20 Vendors- Feeding the Masses
- Audio Learning Tools
- Interview Skill Building
- A Career Path in Pictures
- The View from the Top (of Pittsburgh's Mt. Washing...
- Should You be Ashamed to be on Public Assistance?
- Bare life?
- The Movie Director’s Guide to Effective Teaching
- Big Brother’s Technical Difficulties
- Urban Schools Aiming Higher Than Diploma
- 10 Secrets to Success
- Protect Insurance Companies-PSA
- G20 Galvanizes Local Community
- ▼ 09/20 - 09/27 (32)
- ► 2008 (607)
- ► 2007 (55)
- ► 2006 (52)
- ► 2005 (96)
- ► 2004 (503)