community Service means Business!

24 June 2004

real talk

Scott & Gary
Scott: Dude.
Gary: Bro.
Scott: Dude.
Gary: I know.
Scott: This is good for me. I've been spending too much of my life programming Java servlets.
Gary: Dude. You have no idea. I lived in Albany.

Then we made a pact of honesty, promising to tell each other the truth in pursuit of a greater
goal, a musical version of Maoist self-criticism.

Scott: You're not that good a guitar player.
Gary: You're a pathetic sound nerd.
Scott: Your lyrics blow, and your voice cracks.
Gary: You're not allowed to program any more drum tracks.

It stung, but it was also a relief. We could stop pretending and just play, and concentrate
on our strengths. After our third session, with 10 minutes of untitled song ideas multi-tracked
onto Scott's hard drive, I told him we needed to think about getting a band together.

Scott: Well, you know, this is fun, but I don�t know if I want to go through all the stress.
Gary: [staring silently]
Scott: I'm just saying, it's a lot of work.
Gary: Sure, I understand. Your time is better spent programming Java.
Scott: No, but...
Gary: I mean, what'll be great, is when you�re on your bed of death, a ring of grandchildren around you...
Scott: Grandnephews and grandnieces...
Gary: And the nurse is hooking up an IV to your arm, and you turn to the people in the room and with
rheumy eyes, you can say, "I die knowing my skills in object-oriented programming increased revenue for a
branding consultancy".
Scott: I'm just saying it's work.
Gary: Allow me, Scott, to draw you a picture.

Scott waited with exasperated patience as I drew a stick fish and a stick person. Under the stick person
I wrote the words 'Martin Gore'.

Scott: Fish Martin Gore."

No comments:

Talk2Me

be here-Now!

into the Gaping Void

My Friend Flickr

Talk Gone Wrong

Drop-off Box

drop.io: simple private sharing
Powered By Blogger

plan2planet

Blog Archive