community Service means Business!

12 May 2008

Advice from Eddie Lampert


Fortune's latest issue shares "The Best Advice I Ever Got" from a cadre of business muckety-mucks. Lots of good advice from the likes of Michael Bloomberg, Nelson Peltz. Craig Newmark, Tina Fey, and Indra Nooyi. I especially liked the advice from Eddie Lampert, hedge fund head man and Sears chairman ... unexpected, but spot-on.

"Almost every weekend when I was 7, 8, 9, 10 years old, my father and I would toss a football in the yard or play basketball in the driveway. When we played football, he'd say, "Go out ten steps. Turn to your right." The ball would reach me just before I turned, and it would hit me right in the chest. Why would my dad do this? He told me, "If I waited for you to turn, you and the defensive player would have an equal chance to get the ball. Your opportunity is gone."

This idea of anticipation is key to investing and to business generally. You can't wait for an opportunity to become obvious. You have to think, "Here's what other people and companies have done under certain circumstances. Now, under these new circumstances, how is this management likely to behave?" The plays my father designed for me helped me learn to think ahead." -- Eddie Lampert [source]

Brand Autopsy 5/12/08 6:51 AM johnmoore (from Brand Autopsy) interesting articles business strategy-related

No comments:

Talk2Me

be here-Now!

into the Gaping Void

My Friend Flickr

Talk Gone Wrong

Drop-off Box

drop.io: simple private sharing
Powered By Blogger

plan2planet

Blog Archive